Saturday, June 13, 2020

Secure Attachment

This is a description of what it feels like to reach out to others when you have  secure attachment to them. Many of my clients cannot imagine what this would feel like.

When I feel vulnerable, it feels natural to turn to my attachment figures(s). When I turn to them, I can fairly quickly find comfort and my distress decreases. When I’m not around the people I’m attached to, I don’t have to worry that they will forget about me, leave me, or get angry at me. This allows me to enjoy other aspects of my life and learning about things that interest me. If my attachment figure does abandon, reject, or betray me, I have the ability to confront them and let them go if they are unhealthy.

I feel okay when I am alone and okay when I am with my attachment figure(s).