Saturday, May 23, 2020

Hello again!

My sister challenged me to consider resume working on my blog. This got me thinking about how I might use it in a way that would be helpful for both current clients and others. Most of my earlier entries were originally written by me. While I would like to continue posting things I write, I think it might also be helpful to share things that could be useful to others.

Since starting the blog, my focus as a clinician has become increasing focused on Complex Trauma and Dissociation. While Complex PTSD did not make it to the DSM-5, it will likely be in the ICD-11. Complex PTSD describes the trauma that occurs in response to conditions of repeatedly emotional and relational stress. People with Complex PTSD were usually victims of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse as well as neglect over a period of time as children. Their parents may have been simply overwhelmed with their own trauma, their losses, and/or triggers from their own childhood. They may have had personality disorders. At worst, they may have been sadistic or had psychopathic traits. The worst the abuse, the more likely you are to have not simply Complex PTSD but a Dissociative Disorder.

Given all of this, I want to share things, whether written by me or not, that I believe will be helpful to my clients with Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders. I hope that some of you find them helpful. Whether or not I end up being your therapist, please seek help if you need it. The healing path is a difficult one. But it in the only one to freedom, peace, and feeling more alive.